The Details In The BetaFebruary 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Posted in Guild Wars 2, mmorpg | 14 Comments
Tags: Guild Wars 2, MMO, mmorpg
There are so many things I want to touch on from the recent Beta videos that making an individual post seemed like the best course. I can’t imagine making an entire post to talk about crafting or achievements when overall there is little I want to say about them.
I guess we can do bullet points again.
- I watched elixabeth’s crafting video from Massively and noticed a couple things. She wanted to make something like 150 bronze ingots and completed that task in 15 seconds flat. The more stuff you have to craft, the faster it goes.
- There seems to be a very low threshold for the daily achievements. 10 kills here, 5 different types of enemies there, and you’re looting those experience chests off the ground like someone dropped a $20. Not to mention all the other categories of achievements. From personal story achievements to PvP to fashion. That’s right, fashion achievements. Check out this achievement video.
- Arenanet employees get a fancy arenanet logo beside their name. I would kill for some sort of unlockable logo beside my name.
- Any old merchant won’t do when you need to repair. You have to seek out a specific NPC. I’m not really cool with this. We’ll see how practical it is once I’ve played though.
- You can purchase influence for your guild at an NPC. Influence is the currency with which you upgrade your guild. It appears to be more of a gold sink than anything else.
- Is it me or does the thief not seem like it has much survivability? Maybe the players are so new it just seems that way.
- Kristen Perry said at one point we’d have available something like 400 dye colours. You start with an okay collection, but apparently you have to unlock the rest one at a time. You turn in a colourful seed to an NPC in your home instance, at which point he replies “Come back tomorrow and your dye will be ready.” I don’t want to think about how long it will take to unlock 350 dyes. Not only that it appears to be random? Come on Arenanet, please say this is not how this works.
- Omlech over on reddit took the world map and noted each zone and city. If I count correctly that is 26 zones and 6 cities.
- Not sure where I heard this, elixabeth again I think, but two people who pick the same storyline points can progress their personal story together. Reminds me of the way SWTOR does it.
- According to this video there appears to be an item you get from a PvP vendor that changes your team. It says “PvP Blue Team” and then “Set any team to blue. Does not work in PvP lobby.” There is also a red version, but no green? Not for use in WvW then?
- Various videos show off runes and sigils but I’m too lazy to squint at any of the descriptions.
- One thing that seems to be being overlooked is the new PvP map Forest of Niflhel. Haven’t seen much talk of it. It appears to be the map Guild Wars Insider had screenshots of a while back. That mesmer turns that dude into a moa. A moa.
- You can’t swap weapons until level 7? Seems like an arbitrary limitation even if you won’t have every skill unlocked by then.
- Friends list has a tab for followers, people who have friended you. Awesome.
- Unlike most games looting systems, you don’t bend over or even have to stop when picking stuff up. Just stand near your loot and hit a button.
- Capturing a point in PvP will give you participation medals, which to me seems like it would get in the way. Hope I can turn those off.
I don’t think much of the following is new, but I’ve never talked about it.
- There is a storage pane for mini-pets, it has 60 slots.
- A pane each for light, medium, and heavy PvP armour. It looks as though there are around 180 slots each. Probably for different stats on the same skins. They’re called “PvP Armor Rewards” so I’m not sure what the difference between this and just a regular storage pane is.
- A pane for creature codex books. If I’m not mistaken these give skill points correct? So do we know if bank space is shared yet, and if so can these skill points be shared between characters? Interesting question. Obviously the PvP armour must be shared, you can’t be multiple armour types. They can’t want skill points to be shared though, so maybe bank space isn’t shared after all, or maybe that portion of the bank isn’t shared.
- You also appear to get 24 slots for general storage.
- There is a tab in the bank UI that reads “Purchaseable tab”.
- That’s all in addition to starting with 20 slots in your backpack, and quickly adding another 16 in the low levels for a total of 36. For those contending that Guild Wars 2 will screw people over by making you pay for storage in the cash shop, this seems to refute that. That seems like plenty of storage.
Stuff I learned from watching WvW videos like this one.
- Particle effects can get pretty crazy. However the flame effect is out of control, in my opinion there is no way that is intended.
- You really have to rely on your own heals, no amount of support is going to keep you alive though it may help.
- Siege weapons appear to get destroyed as fast as they get made.
- The asura siege golem is slow as heck, but you can attack enemy players with it much more easily.
- Even some of the NPCs can really put up a fight.
- If you’re going to WvW plan to get downed, defeated, overwhelmed, crushed, outnumbered, ambushed, squeezed from two sides, and generally zerged over and over again. But at least you get to down, defeat, overwhelm, crush, outnumber, ambush, squeeze and zerg people right?
- The latest Arenanet blog post suggests that once you cross certain point thresholds you gain the corresponding world bonus. So you could be losing for two weeks straight but still getting these bonuses as long as you’re gaining points.
So yeah. Probably not everything there is new but who cares. Also I feel like I’m forgetting things. Oh well.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.